Read this: What’s in the Fridge?
4 Duck legs (drumstick and tighs)
1 kg Salt
20 Black peppercorns
6 Sprigs Fresh thyme
4 Fresh bay leaves
6 Garlic cloves, Peeled and crushed
4 tablespoons Duck fat
1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Confit duck legs
- 2 handsful Baby spinach leaves
- 6 Baby carrots, Peeled and julienned
- 1/2 cup Pomegranade seeds
- 1 tablespoon Garlic chives, Finely chopped
- 8 Baby tomatoes (various colours), Quartered
- 2 tablespoons Labneh
- 1 teaspoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon Hazelnut oil (or butter), Opsional
- Mix the salt, garlic, peppercorns, thyme and bay leaves.
- Pack the duck legs in a large enough plastic container and cover in salt.
- Leave to cure for 6 to 8 hours overnight.
- After curing, remove the duck legs from the salt and rinse under cold water.
- Pat dry. Place each of the legs in a vacuum bag together with a sprig of thyme, three back peppercorns and a crushed clove of garlic (retrieve these from the salt mix), and tablespoon of duck fat. Seal the bags at medium pressure and cook at 82℃ for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours, remove the bags and place in an ice bath. When cooled, the bags could be frozen if the meat is not to be used immediately.
To make the Labneh:
- Mix 1 liter of Greek yogurt with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add the yogurt mix to a cheesecloth and twist the material until the yogurt forms ball at the bottom.
- Tie off the ball with a string and hang in the fridge over an empty bowl to catch the dripping whey.
- Hang for two to three days until the yogurt is the desired consistency.
- When done, store in an airtight container.
To make the salad:
- Remove the duck meat from the bones and shred.
- Add the shredded meat to a medium hot pan with a teaspoon of duck fat.
- Heat the meat through and drain on kitchen paper.
- Let a cool to just above room temperature.
- Mix the labneh, honey and hazelnut oil or butter (if using) in a separate bowl.
- Season with salt and black pepper. Arrange the vegetables on a large salad platter.
- Add the cooled duck meat and dress the salad with dollops of labneh.
- Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and garnish with edible flowers.