The Story – Some things aren’t meant to be
400 grams Squid rings, cleaned and cut into strips (see tips, below)
85 grams Corn flour
85 grams Cake flour
2 teaspoons Black pepper, cracked
2 tablespoons Sichuan peppercorns, roughly crushed
1 teaspoon Salt
175 grams Sparkling mineral water
Sunflower oil, enough for deep frying
- Mix the flours, salt and peppers in large mixing bowl. Add the water and stir slowly until a batter is formed. Do not over-work the batter, a few lumps are fine.
- Heat the oil in a large wok to 180℃.
- When the oil is at temperature, add a few rings of squid to the batter making sure they are well covered.
- Shake off the access batter against the side of the bowl and transfer the squid to the warm oil.
- Cook for about 2 minutes or until the batter is golden.
- Remove the squid with a slotted spoon and place on a drying rack set over a plate or akin sheet.
- Continue the process in small batches until all the squid is fried.
- Serve immediately with one or more dipping sauces.