- 200 grams Plain white flour
- 200 grams Sugar
- 15 grams Baking powder
- 3 Whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla powder
- 125 milliliters Milk
- 80 grams Sultanas
- 50 grams Pine nuts
- 100 grams Unsalted butter, At room temperature
- 2 Fresh pears, Cored and peeled
- Zest of 1 lemon
1. Line a 25 cm cake tin with parchment paper and pre-heat your oven to 180℃.
2. Add the flour, baking soda, sugar, eggs, vanilla and lemon zest to a mixing bowl and whisk together. Add the milk and stir until the batter is smooth then fold in the sultanas and pine nuts.
3. Tear the butter into small pieces and add to the batter. Whisk until all the butter is incorporated. Don’t worry if small lumps of butter remains in the mixture. It helps the cake stay light and moist.
4. Cut the pears into eight pieces each. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and arrange the pears slices on top.
5. Transfer the tin to the pre-heated oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. The cake should be golden brown. Allow the cake to cool before serving.
6. Serve with your favourite ice cream or whipped cream.