- 400 grams Wholemeal flour
- 100 grams Rye flour
- 2 grams Instant yeast
- 10 grams Salt
- 340 milliliters Water
- Olive oil, for greasing
- 400 grams Kudu Loin
- 100 grams Green Beans, Tops removed cut into 5 cm pieces
- 100 grams Spring Onion, Sliced thinly at an angle
- Small hand full Rocket
- Small hand full Basil leaves
- 4 Radishes, Sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon Ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Ground cumin to taste Salt
- Zest of 1 lime to taste
- Crushed black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 150 grams Streaky bacon
- 6 tablespoons Sour cream
- 3 teaspoons English mustard
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Mix the flours in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add the yeast and salt at the opposite ends of the bowl.
- Attach the paddle to the mixer and add the water.
- Mix for about 3 minutes at low speed to mix well.
- Remove the paddle and replace with a dough hook.
- Start to knead the dough at low speed for about 5 minutes. Then increase the speed to medium and knead for another five minutes.
- Tip the dough into a clean bowl greased with olive oil and cover with plastic wrap.
- Place the bowl in a warm place and allow the dough to proof till double its original size.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, tip it onto an oiled work surface.
- Shape the dough into a flat rectangle like a pizza base.
- Flatten the middle part of the rectangle with your fingers leaving a rim along the outside.
- Pick the flattened middle part of the dough with a fork but leave the rim untouched.
- Transfer the dough onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cover the dough with a damp tea cloth and allow the dough to roof for another hour or so in a warm place.
- Pre-heat your oven to 220℃. Once proofed, bake the dough for 30 to 35 minutes in the pre-heated oven.
- It should be golden and cooked all the way through. When done, remove the trencher from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely.
- Mix the olive oil, lime zest, ground coriander seeds and cumin to form a paste.
- Rub the meat with the paste and set aside to marinade for an hour or two.
- When ready to cook the meat, season with salt and cracked black pepper and cook the meat on a griddle pan or in a sauté pan over high heat until medium rare with a nice brown crust.
- When cooked, allow the meat to rest till cool.
- Prepare an ice bath by adding water and ice to a clean bowl.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a rolling boil.
- Add the green beans and cook for 1 minute.
- After 1 minute remove the beans from the heat, strain off the cooking liquid and add the beans to the ice bath to stop further cooking.
- Season with salt and pepper and allow to cool completely.
- Lay the strips of bacon on a baking sheet and place in an oven pre-heated to 200℃.
- Cook the bacon until crispy.
- When done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Mix the sour cream, mustard and lime juice to a bowl and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the dressing to a squeeze bottle and set aside till needed.
- Mix the green beans, spring onion, rocket and basil and drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Put on the sunken middle part of the trencher.
- Add a layer of radishes, followed by a layer of crispy bacon. lice the meat at an angle into thin slices and lay on top of the salad. Squeeze over some dressing and serve.