- 400 grams Medium-firm tofu
- 200 grams Ground beef
- 1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon Ginger, Minced
- 1 teaspoon Garlic , Minced
- 3 tablespoons Chili and black bean sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Light soy sauce
- 3 Spring onions, Finely sliced length wise
- 2 Fresh red chili, Deseeded and finely siced length wise
- 1 tablespoon Corn starch
- 3 tablespoons Vegetable oil
1.Chop the tofu into 2 cm cubes. Put in a large bowl and cover with boiling water and let it stand for 20 minutes to firm up.
2.Dry fry the Sichuan peppercorns in a hot pan for about 3 minutes. Transfer to a pestle and mortar or spice grinder and grind to a coarse powder.
3.Heat a wok until smoking. Add the vegetable oil and let it come to high temperature. Add the beef and stir until well browned. Add the ginger, garlic and chili and bean paste. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the sugar and the soy sauce. Stir to mix and after a minute, add the tofu. Stir to mix the tofu into the meat. Be gentle and take care not to break up the tofu.
4.Add a cup of warm water. Turn down the heat to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes. taste for seasoning. Add sugar or salt if needed. Mix the corn flour with 3 tablespoons of cold water and mix into a smooth paste. Add to the wok and mix through. Cook until the sauce has thickened. Then add the Sichuan peppercorns, spring onions and sliced chili. Stir through and serve with steamed rice.