1 Egg yolk
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Water
2 teaspoons Fresh lime juice
1 cup Olive oil
- Add all the ingredients except the oil to a large bowl. Whisk together. Add a few drops of oil to the base mixture and whisk.
- Continue to add a little oil at a time and continue to whisk until the emulsion starts forming. Then the oil can be added in a thin drizzle. Continue to whisk until the oil is finished. The final product should be thick enough to cling to the whisk.
- If it can be poured, it has broken.
- In that case, remove the mixture from the bowl, and set aside. Clean the bowl and add a few drops of water and a little (1/4 or 1/2) egg yolk.
- Start by whisking the yolk and water. Add a few drops of the broken mixture and whisk.
- Continue the process until all the broken mixture has been added and the emulsion is repaired.
- From the base mayonnaise, it is easy to add additional flavours.
- To make a sweet and tangy mayonnaise, the base mayonnaise add a teaspoon of pomegranate reduction and stir through.
- For another variety, take the zest of one lime and one green chili. Chop very finely and add to the base mix of egg, water, salt and lime juice.
- Make the mayonnaise as usual. Or if, you have some, chop two or three cloves black garlic very finely and add to the finished mayonnaise.
- Stir through and put in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes to allow the flavours to develop. Serve your mayonnaise with cold fish, chicken or meat.
- Or use it on potatoes, or other boiled vegetables. Or use it a sandwich.
- Use the freshly made sauce within a day or two, especially if you have added fresh ingredients such as herbs to ensure it tastes fresh.