Here’s the recipe to go with the Gatsby Column. It looks like a lot, but this should easily serve six to eight hungry people.
- 1 kilogram beef steak, sliced against the grain
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, grated
- 2 teaspoons ginger, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1 ½ teaspoons coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, ground
- 1 teaspoon dried chilis, crushed
- 4 cloves, whole
- 4 allspice, whole
- 4 cardamom pods, whole
- 2 sticks cinnamon, whole
- ½ teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 2 long soft baguettes
- 1 kilogram french fries, soft, freshly made
- 1 head lettuce, shredded
- cheddar cheese, grated
- Combine all the spices and rub into the meat.
- Marinade for an hour in the fridge to allow the flavors to develop.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a saucepan.
- Add the onions and braise until golden brown.
- Add the meat and cook with the lid on over medium heat for about 45 minutes until the meat is tender.
- Add the tomato and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Cut the baguettes lengthwise to form a cavity. Add a layer of lettuce to the bottom half, then a layer of french fries.
- Then a layer of the steak with some cheese on top. Put the entire sandwich under a hot grill till the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.