Here’s the recipe to go with the Gatsby Column. It looks like a lot, but this should easily serve six to eight hungry people.
- 1 kilogram beef steak, sliced against the grain
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, grated
- 2 teaspoons ginger, crushed
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin, ground
- 1 ½ teaspoons coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, ground
- 1 teaspoon dried chilis, crushed
- 4 cloves, whole
- 4 allspice, whole
- 4 cardamom pods, whole
- 2 sticks cinnamon, whole
- ½ teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 2 long soft baguettes
- 1 kilogram french fries, soft, freshly made
- 1 head lettuce, shredded
- cheddar cheese, grated
1. Combine all the spices and rub into the meat. Marinade for an hour in the fridge to allow the flavors to develop.
2. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a saucepan. Add the onions and braise until golden brown. Add the meat and cook with the lid on over medium heat for about 45 minutes until the meat is tender.
3. Add the tomato and cook for another 15 to 20 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated.
4. Cut the baguettes lengthwise to form a cavity. Add a layer of lettuce to the bottom half, then a layer of french fries. Then a layer of the steak with some cheese on top. Put the entire sandwich under a hot grill till the cheese is melted. Serve immediately.